1.8 Product design flow and documentation
You are required to perform several processes before using the CCI-550. To obtain the best performance, ARM recommends that you perform some of the implementation stages, including RAM integration, before integrating it into your wider SoC.
The processes are as follows:
- The implementer configures and synthesizes the RTL.
- The integrator connects the implemented design into a SoC. Integration
includes connecting the design to a memory system, processors, and peripherals.
- Final SoC implementation
- The process of implementing the final, fully integrated SoC in
silicon. ARM® can provide only guidance relevant to its own products for this process. If ARM
provides guidance on this process for your product, then a separate document is included
in the implementation bundle for that product.
- Programming is the last process. The system programmer develops the
software that is required to configure and initialize the CCI-550, and tests the required
For information on the CCI-550
documents that provide information on these processes, see 1.8.1 Documentation
- Is separate, and a different person can complete it.
- Can include implementation and integration choices that affect the
behavior and features of the CCI-550, and therefore the other tasks in the flow.
The operation of the final device depends on:
- Build configuration
- The implementer chooses the configuration options that affect the
preprocessing of the RTL source files. These options usually include or exclude the
logic that affects one or more of the features, the area, or the maximum frequency and
performance of the resulting macrocell. For example, the implementer can control the
number of outstanding transactions that each master and slave interface supports.
- Configuration inputs
- The integrator configures some features of the CCI-550 by tying inputs to specific
values. These configurations affect the start-up behavior before you specify the
software configuration. They can also limit the options available to the software. For
example, the ACCHANNELENSx
signal inputs prevent AC
requests from being emitted from an unconnected slave interface.
- Software configuration
- The programmer configures the CCI-550 by programming particular
values into registers. These values affect the behavior of the CCI-550, for example, by enabling