11.56 Debug Hardware Firmware Installer view
Use the Debug Hardware Firmware Installer view to update the firmware for your debug hardware.
Firmware files for ARM® debug hardware units typically contain:
- Templates for devices supported by the debug hardware unit
- Each template defines how to communicate with the device and the settings
that you can configure for that device. A firmware update might contain
support for newer devices that the debug hardware unit can now support.
- Firmware updates and patches
- ARM periodically releases updates and patches to the firmware that is
installed on a debug hardware unit. These updates or patches might extend
the capabilities of your debug hardware, or might fix an issue that has
To access the Debug Hardware Firmware
Installer view, from the main menu, select Window > Show View > Other > DS-5 Debugger > Debug Hardware Firmware Installer.
Updating your debug hardware unit firmware using the Debug Hardware Firmware
- Connect your debug hardware to the client PC.
- From the main menu, select Window > Show View > Other > DS-5 Debugger > Debug Hardware Firmware Installer to display the view.
- In Select Debug Hardware, click Browse and select your debug hardware
- Click Connect to your debug
hardware unit. The current firmware status of your debug hardware is displayed.
- In Select Firmware Update File, click Browse
and select the firmware file for your debug hardware unit. When the file is
selected, the dialog shows the selected firmware update file details.For
Figure 11-67 Debug Hardware Firmware Installer view
Tip: DS-5 only displays the firmware file applicable to your
debug hardware unit, so it is easy for you to select the correct firmware
- Click Install. The firmware update
process starts. When complete, a message is displayed indicating the status of
Debug Hardware Firmware Installer view options
- Select Debug Hardware
- The currently selected debug hardware. You can either enter
the IP address or host name of the debug hardware unit, or use the
Browse button and select the
debug hardware unit.
- Click to display the Connection
Browser dialog. Use it to browse and select the debug
hardware unit in your local network or one that is connected to a USB port
on the host workstation.
- Click to visually identify your debug hardware unit using the indicators
available on the debug hardware. On RVI, all LEDs on the front
panel flash during identification. On DSTREAM, the DSTREAM logo flashes during
- Click to connect to your debug hardware. When connected, the dialog shows
the current firmware status.
- Select Firmware Update File
- Click Browse and select the firmware file. DS-5 only
displays the firmware applicable to your debug hardware unit. If you want to
use a different firmware file, use the Browse button and select the firmware file you need. When
the file is selected, the dialog shows the selected firmware update file
Note: In DS-5,
the latest firmware files are available at:
DS-5_install_directory\sw\debughw\firmware\. If you
want to choose a different firmware file, click Browse and select the new location and
- Click to clear the currently selected debug hardware and firmware
- Click to install the firmware file on the selected debug
Firmware file format
Firmware files have the following syntax:
- The debug hardware unit family for which the firmware file is intended.
- Is the version of the firmware. For example,
4.5.0 is the first release of firmware version
- Is a build number.
- Is either:
- The first release of the firmware for version
- Updates to the corresponding
N.n release of the firmware.
- Identifies the debug hardware unit, and is one of:
- For a DSTREAM debug
and trace unit.
- For the newer family of DSTREAM debug and trace units.
- For an RVI debug unit.