1.3 What the linker does when constructing an executable image
armlink performs many operations, depending on the content of the input files and the command-line options you specify.
When you use the linker to construct an executable image, it:
- Resolves symbolic references between the input object files.
- Extracts object modules from libraries to satisfy otherwise unsatisfied
- Removes unused sections.
- Eliminates duplicate common groups and common code, data, and debug
- Sorts input sections according to their attributes and names, and merges
sections with similar attributes and names into contiguous chunks.
- Organizes object fragments into memory regions according to the grouping
and placement information provided.
- Assigns addresses to relocatable values.
- Generates an executable image.