How do I configure RVD v4.0/RVI v3.3 to capture ETM trace using the Embedded Trace Buffer (ETB) on the PB1176?
Applies to: PB1176, RealView Development Suite (RVDS), RealView ICE and Trace (RVI / RVT)
The ARM1176JZF-S Development Chip integrated on the PB1176 can be configured as a traditional or a CoreSight JTAG system based design. To capture ETM trace on the PB1176, the system must be configured as a CoreSight system by placing a jumper on J1.
This Knowledge Article explains how to configure RealView Debugger v4.0 (RVD v4.0) and RealView ICE v3.3 (RVI v3.3) on the PB1176 using the on-chip Embedded Trace Buffer (ETB).
In this case, a RealView Trace (RVT) unit is not required as the trace data is sent directly to the ETB using RVI.
The following software must be installed in order to perform trace on the PB1176:
- RealView Development Suite (RVDS) v4.0 or RVDS v4.0 Pro
- RVI v3.3 Firmware v3.3.0 build 948 or later
To obtain the latest patches for RVDS v4.0/RVDS v4.0 Pro, visit the ARM Technical Support web pages:
The following steps are needed to configure the RVD 4.0/RVI 3.3 interface to the PB1176 development board:
- Connect the RVI unit to the "JTAG ICE" port (J12 on the PB1176) .
- Power up the PB1176 and the RVI unit.
- Start RVD. Select Target → Connect to Target from the Menu. This opens the RVD connection control window.
- In the RVD connection control window, click on the "Add" button next to "RealView ICE". This opens the "RVConfig" window.
- In "RVConfig" select your RVI unit from the list displayed and click the "Connect" button.
- Click "Select Platform", expand the "ARM" option and select "PB1176 (CoreSight)".
The previous step will result in the scan chain shown in Figure 1 being found. Right click on the ARM1176JZF-JTAG-AP device, select "Properties" and select "Embedded Trace Buffer(ETB)".
- In "RVConfig", click on "Trace Associations" to view the relationship between trace sources and sinks. The "Trace Association Editor" shows automatically the trace associations for the PB1176 Platform. No changes need to be applied, click "OK" to close the "Trace Associations" dialog.
- In the "RVConfig" window select the File tab, Save and Exit.
The RVD configuration steps can be gathered in a script to be loaded in RVD. This script contains the RVD commands that perform the connection to the Coresight components and the configuration for the ETM registers.
An example of an RVD configuration script file which configures the PB1176 for 16-bit trace is available from here:
- Save this file in a local directory.
- To load the Commands script file in RVD: from the main Menu navigate to Tools → Include Commands from File and browse to the location of the file.
- Click View → Analysis Window to open the Analysis window. Click the Edit tab and select the "Connect/Disconnect Analyzer" option.
- Finally load an image and run it. You should get trace output in the Analysis window.
Alternatively, you can manually configure RVD by following the next steps:
- The RVD connection control window should now show all of the devices you have configured, except for the ARMCS-DP.
- Double click on ARM1176JZF-JTAG-AP to connect. Do the same for the ETM and ETB.
Next we will set up the registers for the ETM:
- Open a Registers window by selecting View → Registers from the Menu. To see the registers for each of the components, use the "Cycle Connections" button from the Menu.
- Select the ETM and in the Registers window set the "ETM CS TRACE ID" register to a small non-zero value, for instance 0x55.
- In the RVD window, click the "Cycle Connections" button to select the ARM1176 core. Click View → Analysis Window to open the Analysis window. Click the Edit tab and select the "Connect/Disconnect Analyzer" option.
- Load an image and run it. You should obtain trace output in the Analysis window. Note that to be able to see the trace output in the Analysis window you should stop the target or disable trace.
Note: For any information regarding the CoreSight components configuration please refer to the CoreSight Components Technical Reference Manual available from the ARM Website:
Attachments: platform_pb1176_coresight.png , Trace_PB1176JZF-S_ETB.inc
Article last edited on: 2009-04-14 13:54:23
Rate this article
Disagree? Move your mouse over the bar and click