How do I configure RVD v3.1/RVI v3.2.1 to debug the PB1176?
Applies to: PB1176, RealView Development Suite (RVDS), RealView ICE and Trace (RVI / RVT)
The ARM1176JZF-S Development Chip integrated on the PB1176 can be configured as a traditional or a CoreSight JTAG system based design.
For system level debug on the PB1176, the system must be configured as a CoreSight system by placing a jumper on J1.
This Knowledge Article explains how to configure RealView Debugger v3.1 (RVD v3.1) and RealView ICE v3.2.1 (RVI v3.2.1) for system level debug on the PB1176.
The following software must be installed in order to perform system level debug on the PB1176 platform:
- RealView Development Suite (RVDS) v3.1 or RVDS v3.1 Pro
- RVI v3.2.1 Firmware 3.2.1 build 860 or later
To obtain the latest patches for RVDS v3.1/RVDS v3.1 Pro, visit the ARM Technical Support web pages:
The following steps are needed to configure the RVD 3.1/RVI 3.2.1 interface to debug the PB1176 development board:
- Connect the RVI unit to the "JTAG ICE" port (J12 on the PB1176) .
- Power up the PB1176 and the RVI unit.
- Start RVD. Select Target → Connect to Target from the Menu. This opens the RVD connection control window.
- In the RVD connection control window, click on the "Add" button next to "RealView ICE". This opens the "RVConfig" window.
- In "RVConfig" select your RVI unit from the list displayed and click the "Connect" button.
- Click "Autoconfigure Scan Chain" to autodetect the CoreSight system. It will result in the ARMCS-DP device being found. This device represents the Debug Access Port (DAP) in a CoreSight system.
- To find the debuggable devices connected to the DAP, right click on the ARMCS-DP device and select "Read CoreSight ROM table". It will result in the scan chain shown in Figure 1 being found.
- In the "RVConfig" window select the File tab, Save and Exit.
- The RVD connection control window should now show all of the devices in the scan chain, except for the ARMCS-DP.
- Double click on ARM1176JZF-JTAG-AP to connect.
Article last edited on: 2009-03-18 10:15:32
Rate this article
Disagree? Move your mouse over the bar and click